Note: This vaccine is much better than the vaccines generated previously.
Take away message
1. There are currently over 230 vaccine candidates in development, a number of which have already received EUA within a year of the first report of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
2. All major vaccine candidates are administered by intramuscular injection. However, results have emerged from several recent studies highlighting the importance of mucosal immune responses against SARS-CoV-2 infection (Hassan, AO et al., CELL, 2020).
3. The vast majority of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines in development require a priming regimen.
4. Massive vaccination campaigns would therefore require billions of doses to meet global demand.
5. High vulnerability groups such as health workers and essential professionals are the first to receive a vaccine, followed by age groups over 65.
6. Nucleic acid and sometimes viral vector platforms that require long-term storage at -70 ° C from manufacture to administration can pose serious problems for the distribution of the respective vaccines and limit their use in clinical trials. rural areas (Nikolaos C. Kyriakidis et al., 2021. Natural vaccines).